Can you cross different kinds of polish and what will they look like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by daze333, Sep 4, 2010.

1. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    I have SLP, GLP and a splash and possibly a buff polish. What will happen if I put them all in one pen. Would it be good to do or not? What will the offspring look like?
    Thanks for any advice!

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Sure you can cross them. The offspring will look like Polish, but maybe not in the accepted colors we're all used to. There are some genetics gurus on here who could give you a pretty good idea of what you'd get, but they will need to know what color your roo or roos are.

It's much easier to make an educated guess if you say, for example, what color would I get if I crossed my SLP roo with my GLP hens? With my splash hen? With my buff hen?

3. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Any of you polish breeders out there????

4. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    OK- Polish gurus-I have a buff roo and here are my hens; SLP, GLP, and splash. What will the babies look like? Do most people keep the breeds separate? I have heard that you can put SLP and GLP together an still get pure colors. Do any others do that? Do most people want the pure colors? I want to sell hatching eggs and chicks.[​IMG]
    Thanks!

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I have Polish from baregretchen and was told by her (and have seen at her place) that everything should be kept separate. She keeps her buff laced separate, her gold laced separate, her silver laced separate. She keeps b/b/s together and b/c/k together because of the way it works. She does keep one gold laced with her tolbunts because of they way that has to work to get the coloring.

Since my Polish came from her, and I am learning from her, I do things the same way she does.

I am sure that you can put them together, but I don't know what kind of mixes you would get.

6. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Quote:Thanks acid chipmunk for that info!
    Ok, in b/c/k, Is that for chocolate, buff and khaki?
    Wow! I had to look up those unusual varieties of polish! Those are some pretty birds!

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    B/c/k is black/chocolate/khaki.

Good luck with your Polish!

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:If put all in one pen, you'll just have polish mutts. as you would have no idea who bred who, or who the egg came from.
    With select breeding in any breed, you can create new colors. You have to do a lot of research on what will result from your crosses and have an end goal to be creating. Just breeding this color to that color and see what happens never works.
    Try the chicken calculator, it' gives fairly accurate and predictable results, but unless you have individual pens set up for this elect breeding, you are better off to just find mates for your current colors, as any color creating project take houndreds if not thousands of dollars to complete and 2-8 years of selelct breeding, are you prepared for that? or do you just want some back yard polish. If you want them just for your personal use, let them breed, they be polish, and some pretty cool colors, they just wont breed true for you.

heres the link if intersted

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

9. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Quote:If put all in one pen, you'll just have polish mutts. as you would have no idea who bred who, or who the egg came from.
    With select breeding in any breed, you can create new colors. You have to do a lot of research on what will result from your crosses and have an end goal to be creating. Just breeding this color to that color and see what happens never works.
    Try the chicken calculator, it' gives fairly accurate and predictable results, but unless you have individual pens set up for this elect breeding, you are better off to just find mates for your current colors, as any color creating project take houndreds if not thousands of dollars to complete and 2-8 years of selelct breeding, are you prepared for that? or do you just want some back yard polish. If you want them just for your personal use, let them breed, they be polish, and some pretty cool colors, they just wont breed true for you.

heres the link if intersted

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

Thank you for that info! That is exactly what I needed to hear. So I need to stick to the same colors in the pens unless I want to get deep into breeding, which I don't have the money for or if I want mutts.

Thanks again!

10. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I keep all my Polish in one pen most of the year, and I pull out select pairs/trios/quads for breeding - this includes black, blue, splash, dun and khaki, in various combinations with frizzle and cuckoo. I've hatched eggs from when they're all mixed, and I get all the normal colors, plus some unique mixes of dun/khaki and blue/splash. Granted, they're not show worthy, but they're pretty!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by