Can you crush your own oyster shell?? and save $$$

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by VAeggman, Jun 29, 2010.

1. VAeggman

VAeggman Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Any reason why I can't take an oyster shell in a sock or screen and give it the sledge hammer?

Heading to the beach next week for vacation and thinking about bringing home a few shells for the girls.

Anybody?

2. VAeggman

May 4, 2010
    Well the ingredeints on my farm store bought bag just say OYSTER SHELL. So I thought if its pure crushed shell I can do that. I was curious about the age of a shell? Say I just grabbed one from the seafood shack parking lot. Still an OYSTER SHELL. Wonder if it looses any of its calcium value??

Someone help! obviously I think way too much about everything!! Lol!!

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm not sure, but I think it's cooked or something prior to crushing...and sometimes I swear it's just calcium from stone.

It's so cheap, I never thought about making my own, and I feed them their shells after oven-drying and crushing them.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Seems like it'd be the same. [​IMG]

5. VAeggman

May 4, 2010
    It is cheap! I use so little just thought it would give my sons and I another chicken activity. Ha ha

What about O shell for grit?? Is it sufficient for laying hens?

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:One of the reasons it's not sufficient for grit is that the gizzard is very, very muscular and wears away soft stones easily. We use granite for that reason.

7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I don't think it would be worth the trouble at all. I think the last time I bought oyster shell (which I only do maybe once or twice a year) , it was only about $6 for a 50 pound bag.

8. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I got a torn 50lb bag last year for $2. All the trouble of crushing even a small amount of sharp stinky shells doesn't seem worth the effort.

They do "Cook" the shells to get rid of the remaining organi c matter so it doesn't stink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by