Can you distinguish cockerels by feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffomatic, May 29, 2010.

1. Jeffomatic

Jeffomatic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    I have some 12 week old Australorps and am afraid one is a cockerel. The tail has curved feathers like a rooster and it is leggy, taller than the others. Are these indications of he being a him, or is there no way to tell other than waiting for maturity or vent-checking? (I have no chicken-sexing skills.)
    [​IMG]

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I can see from your pic, the ends of the feathers are round so you'd have a "girl." [​IMG]

Let's see if my roo's pic is close up enough to show his pointy feather tips:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  3. Jeffomatic

Mar 21, 2010
    I hope you're right! Actually each of the four chickens are somewhat differently feathered. One has a perfect hen's "axe head" tail. Wish they all were as nicely formed as her. They are Australorps, but not pure as I'd like. They're supposed to have pink soles of the feet but two have yellow ones.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Look at the body feathers, the tips of the feathers, are they round? = girls or Pointy? = boys, especially the feathers where your hips and thighs would be on the bird. Forget the tail for now... unless you see one very long boy tail feather like on my roo.

5. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    It looks like a pullet to me as it has a very small, hardly noticeable comb.

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    At twelve weeks I think your Austrolorp would have quite pointed saddle feathers. The feathers on this bird seem pretty round to me. I think you have a pullet but I have been fooled before.

7. Jeffomatic

Mar 21, 2010
    If any are cockerels I have a warranty with the farm I got them from... Trade in for a hen of equivalent age because I paid for sexed pullets. It's just a lot of trouble and a 40 mile drive. Also I am a bit attached to the chicken, if a bit reluctant to admit it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by