Can you donate birds?

Shannon33

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Eastern Shore, VA
I bought 8 silkie chicks. I might keep one rooster but I am sure there is bound to be more. It's been sorta bothering me wondering what I could do with the extras. I don't want to give them away for free to strangers as I would worry about their fate, and I am afraid with all the surplus roosters around I won't be able to ask for money to help insure a good home. Then I got thinking about 4H clubs and such and wondered if places like that would take donated birds. This would be a good home for them and a chance to help out some kids. I checked the 4H website but didn't see any info on this. Does anyone know if they do, or know of any other organizations that might?

As harsh as this may seem if you really want to get rid of them and can't find an organization to donate them to you have two choices (1)give them away and (2) put no criteria on what the new owners are to do with them. Otherwise you will be culling or raising them yourself. When I get rid of extras I really can't worry about where they go. It's just the nature of the beast in raising chickens.

Roosters are the hardest to get rid of and a time or two I have had so many on my hands I didn't know what to do with. Sometimes you just have to take the chance when giving them away they are gonna go some place good. You could ask a small adoption fee. Like $2 or even $1 try craigslist in your area.

I understand what you are saying. Although I couldn't personally butcher/eat a chicken, I understand it's the nature of things. The fate I speak of isn't someone having them for dinner though. Around here it is not uncommon for people to take roosters for illegal purposes. I couldn't in good conscience post them for free knowing this would be a likely outcome for them.

Part of raising chickens is learning to accept that chickens are born 1:1 girls to boys, but as adults, will usually live at about 10:1 girls to boys. This leaves about 90% of boys, or 9/10 boys needing a fate other than flock protector...

My preference is to allow them to grow up and then eat them knowing they lived a good life and that their duty in the world was to provide nourishment. If you eat them yourself, you know life was good till the end.

People call foul play when they see baby roosters "destroyed" yet order only girls. The boys have to go somewhere...

Also wanted to add that from what I have read, people don't like to use the silkies for meat so I would think I would have a hard time finding someone to even take them for that.
I suppose I could take Teresaann's advice and try asking a small fee. That might weed out some people.

Quote:
Silkies for fighting? I wouldn't think that would be very likely, I could be wrong.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom