Can you drink the milk of your goat when you are "deworming"?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickylou, Apr 3, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Hi,

Does anyone know if you can drink the milk of a goat when she gets dewormed? We would like to deworm our lactating doe - only because we recently did this with her buddy. Should we lay off drinking the milk for two days or so?

What do you think?

Thanks for the input. [​IMG]

2. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    I use Ivomec/Ivomec+ and Safeguard, and we have used the milk. Never had a problem, and probably got wormed in the process. hehe Just kidding, the amount that comes through the milk is a big deal if you or someone in your household are extremely sensitive to part of the medication. Drink it at your own risk.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have used IverCare, the paste form of ivermectin, and I dump the milk (or give it to the dog and chickens) for four days.

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I dont dump my milk as there really isnt that much wormer in the milk to matter. They use this type wormer to worm people in 3rd world countries and it dont hurt them. I only throw it away when they put their foot in the bucket.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Chatychick is right but I still like to dump mine (also give it to other animals) for a four day period just to be safe.

6. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    some types of wormer tells you not to use the milk for a few days but others like ivesco goat dewormersays no milk discard required follwing use in dairy goats.this wormer is available at tractor supply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by