1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you eat a once frozen egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ears73, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    We found it just now, must have been laid yesterday... It is slightly cracked because of the freezing, but the membrane looks fine inside -the question is can it be eaten?

I was thinking of giving it to the dogs, but husband said ask them BYC folks who know everything....

So, what say you all??

2. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    huh, well, we had a similar egg yesterday. hairline crack, membrane intact. I let it thaw, the shell seemed to close up well, and we cooked it this am.

I will let you know later if my husband (the eater) becomes violently ill or anything.

if the membrane were ruptured we would not eat it.

-Tasha

3. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
  4. n2h20

n2h20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    i have.... well it was semi frozen,,,,

5. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I asked this recently and was told that the danger is in the bacteria being able to enter the egg through the crack. I would not eat eggs that are cracked. I'd cook and feed to the animals. I do have eggs that freeze, although not to the cracking point, that I do eat daily. No difference in taste or texture.

6. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    If they are cracked I will feed them to dog's or chickens, but in the winter if the egg was cold enough to freeze then I would not worry about a hairline fracture.

7. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Thanks so much all, I got the answers I was looking for!

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If it's frozen bacteria should not be a concern until after it thaws again. If you can use it immediately I'd eat it. I wouldn't store that one though. Thaw it and either eat it or feed it back out right away.

9. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    UUmmm-Doesn't frying kill bacteria? Ditto boiling? Might not want to try it sunny side up....[​IMG]

10. The Dobie Zoo

The Dobie Zoo New Egg

Apr 25, 2010
    Harvey, New Brunswick
    Thanks guys, this is great I have been having a lot of issues with frozen eggs being up here in Canada, eh!! The dogs usually have been getting them but I might starting frying them up for my homestyle McMuffin!! LOL

Thank YOU

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by