1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you eat chickens given medicated feed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickenfever, Nov 14, 2008.

1. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    I have given my chickens medicated feed since chicks. They are not meat birds, and it was never my intention to eat them, but now I have too many roosters and want to butcher some of the more ornery ones. I don't want to possibly be eating any antibiotics. If I wait a certain amount of time, will the antibiotics be out of their system?

2. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    The antibiotic, amprolium, is supposed to be safe to eat when butchering chickens or eating the eggs; however, if you want to feed them antibiotic free for about 2 weeks you should be safe. Amprolium is excreted pretty quickly through the system. [​IMG]

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You can eat them. Just observe the withdrawal period on the feed tag. It's typically around 5 days.

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Thank you, I didn't know that it would say on the bag. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the last bag. It's Purina Start & Grow, does anyone know what they say about a withdrawal period? I did look on their web site and they talk about the amprolium being only in the digestive tract and not going into the eggs, but they didn't say anything about the meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by