1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you eat Cornish Cross roosters?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jsweevil, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Jsweevil

Jsweevil Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    Well I am sure you CAN eat them, but one of the six I bought is definitely a roo. I am wondering if he is going to be tough like most roosters are. Anyone with experience on the taste/toughness of these roos?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    toughness comes with age - cornish cross develop and reach processing weight far too quickly for that to be an issue regardless of gender (this is the point of the breeding that has gone into them)

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Meant to add, even old, "tough" roosters (or laying hens) can be eaten -- the older/tougher the bird just dictates the appropriate method of cooking.

4. Jsweevil

Jsweevil Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    Oh thanks! This one will be butchered by 7-8 weeks and he is HUGE already. He looks like a turkey. I could probably do it now without waiting, but I would prefer to butcher them all at one time.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Half the chickens sold in the grocery store are male [​IMG]

6. Jsweevil

Jsweevil Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    Really? So I guess the big chicken houses just buy straight run?

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    When you are only raising them for slaughter, gender does not matter. Cornish Cross are processed months before they are mature adults. That's what makes them so tend. And yeah, about half of store bought chicken comes from male birds.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  8. Jsweevil

Jsweevil Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    I appreciate everyone's answers, you have all been very helpful! I'm not sure I will raise cornish crosses again, they are ridiculously fast growers, but I think I would rather have a dual purpose breed instead. These things are like frankenchickens.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Bare in mind, if you choose a dual-purpose breed, it will not look the same when dressed out. They will not have the same large breasts of the Cornish Cross, and if you put off butchering the cockerels in hopes of more meat, you will be compromising the tenderness of the meat.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  10. Jsweevil

Jsweevil Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    True, I didn't think about that. As far as the huge breasts, that is always a plus, but I think (it may all be in my head) but the smaller birds seem to taste better even if they don't have as much meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by