1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you eat fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhode island redsy, Mar 23, 2010.

1. rhode island redsy

rhode island redsy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    can you eat fertile eggs

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Yes.

3. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure you can.
    They're just eggs.
    I eat duck eggs during the winter when my chickens aren't laying and they're probably fertile if the behaviour of my 2 drakes is any indication.

I know my chicken eggs aren't fertile because I don't (won't) have a roo but if I did (but I won't because of the noise) I'd eat the eggs.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Every day. They don't taste or even look (except for the tiny bulls eye ) different. Also the fertilized eggs are in stasis until proper conditions are met so you're not eating a developing egg. Just collect the eggs daily and don't give it another thought.

5. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Yes. All of my eating eggs are fertile. You just have to make sure they are collected daily so nothings starts to grow in them.

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Had one for breakfast today [​IMG]

I do pick out the occasional 'meat spot/blood spot' cause it grosses me out. Or I sprinkle pepper on the egg so I dont see it... [​IMG]

7. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Yep, can't even tell the difference unless you look ~really~ close! Funny that most non-chicken-owning people think that you have to have a rooster to get eggs! [​IMG]

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I start each day by eating a fertile egg. The rooster insists on making them all fertile. I love em fried!
    Caroline

9. redsgr

redsgr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    I think they taste better.

10. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    Quote:I agree! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by