Can you eat fertilized eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Aug 16, 2010.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Title says it all...

2. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Songster

Mar 21, 2010
    Only if you don't want to:idunno

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, you won't be able to taste the difference. You have to incubate it to change it.

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    ok thanks [​IMG] what if it sits for a day??? sorry im a beginner

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As long as you don't incubate it at 100 or so F, it is no different.

6. Terri O

Terri O Songster

The only way you can tell if it is fertilized is to look at the spot on the yolk. If it is a bulleye then it is. There are some pics somewhere on here....even if the eggs sit in the coop for a day or two there wont really be any development. The best way to "avoid surprises" is to pick up eggs every day. Twice a day if it is very hot or very cold. If an egg is just lying there with no hen sitting on it it will NOT develop so you dont need to worry.

Yes, you won't be able to taste the difference

Dont tell "non-chicken" people this however....some pay extra for fertilized eggs! T​

7. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I hope so I do everyday [​IMG]

8. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Songster

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Last year when I got my first eggs my mom wouldn't touch em bc they were fertile. Now she eats em no prob. It took a while of me telling her they were good and other ppl on her about em.

9. jeb251

jeb251 Songster

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had a friend who always ate fertile eggs they were the only ones he would eat, well it so happens that one day while in the shower he miscarried a black astrolorp pullet, he felt so bad that he never ate an egg again. The poor soul still has nightmares about it, and when he drives by a KFC he looses it, he starts screaming and crying. I wish there was something I could do for him, but I think he is just plain ole nutts

10. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Songster

Dec 22, 2009
    I've been eating them for over 25 years, but it does bother me when I hear someone say that I'm eating a very young baby chick.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by