1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you eat guinea?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Helen in the Desert, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    Just curious since we eat our roosters, can you eat guinea?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Oh, yes. A professional chef will probably tell you their flavor is superior to chicken.

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Supposedly they taste like Pheasant (and are often listed as African Pheasant on menus at gourmet restaurants, but I've never tasted Pheasant to agree or disagree with this). To me they have a flavor somewhat between chicken and Turkey... and they are very lean. Not much meat on them. Some wrap them with bacon before baking or roasting... baking them in baking bags helps keep them moist too.

My favorite way to eat Guinea tho is to shove one or 2 in a crock pot with lots of fresh home grown garlic, onions, rosemary and cover with broth then cook on low for 5-6 hrs. Then I add halved red potatoes, a bag of baby carrots and sometimes big hunks of home grown zucchini to cook in the broth/juices the last couple of hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  4. troyer

troyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Guinea is superior to chicken.

5. jchny2000

jchny2000 Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Oh my, YUM! sounds wonderful! [​IMG]