1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you eat pond-laid eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 10ducks, Dec 7, 2009.

1. 10ducks

10ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Dexter, Michigan
    Several people on here have mentioned that their ducks lay eggs in their ponds. Somebody mentioned fishing them out, but I don't remember if they ate them. I never had this problem before, but one of my ducks has started laying either on the shore right next to the water, or in shallow water. I don't know if the eggs can absorb bacteria while submersed. Anyone know? I won't have this problem any more until spring, because the pond froze over the weekend, but I have a half-dozen water-laid eggs sitting in the refrigerator, and besides, I'm curious. Thanks!

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I am not sure, I know that the eggs themselves are waxyish...maybe it would protect them.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Supposedly the "bloom" on the egg is supposed to protect it, but I'm sorry, I can't bring myself to eat something that's been laying at the bottom of a poopy pond. YUCK!!!

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    They are protected to a degree, after a while the water will eventually wash the bloom off any egg. There is also the deal of, just how long has it been down there?? 1 day, cool, aint sure, toss it. You can eat them if you like, but I am not that crazy for duck eggs that I'd take too big of a chance on it...

5. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    Personally, I would hard cook the eggs and feed them back to the ducks. They would be fine for this.

6. 10ducks

10ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Dexter, Michigan
    Quote:That's a good idea--I'll do that. Thanks for the responses.

7. jreynolds

jreynolds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    Decatur IN
    I just found my first two duck eggs...laid in their pond and had the exact question! Thanks for the thread [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by