Can you eat the eggs from chickens still eating starter/grower feed?

Wild--Star

Songster
6 Years
Sep 22, 2015
Australia
One of my hens just laid for the first time two days ago, though she is still eating the pullet feeder and apparently the person who sold us either the chicken or the feed (i cant remember sorry) told my Nan that you cant eat the eggs if they are still on the starter/grower pullet feeder but we are unsure.
Any info? Thanks...

As long as it's the unmedicated feed it's fine, I feed grower year round, now if it's medicated I would not eat the eggs until the withdrawal period is past.

I second what Old Hen said. Grower /starter is basically the same as layer with less calcium, as too much calcium before they are laying can cause organ damage. If one is laying though, be sure to have free choice oyster shell available. They will only eat it if they need it and if they're laying, they need it. Best of luck!

Thanks guys, that was a big help, i think our feed had some kind of worm medicine in it so i best not eat the eggs but we have an new non-medicated feed now so that should be good.

Though half my flock still are about a month or so off laying and my other hen (about a month older than the others) who has recently started to lay, will need the new food but my other hens will probably need the old food still, am i correct? So i am unsure what to do? Should i finish up the old feed and just not eat her eggs or change the feed to the newer one or give a mixture of both and still not eat the eggs, i dont know, any other suggestions???
Thanks

You didn't mention your name or location or what the feed is medicated with... Most retail commercial medicated feed in the US only has Amprolium in it, but it's good to check the label as there are some medicated feeds that also contain antibiotics from a few feed companies and what they contain outside the US will vary by country...

Eating eggs while the hens are being fed Amprolium based medicated feed is fine as long as you confirm Amprolium is the only 'medicine' in the feed, Amprolium has no withdrawal period for eggs...

See last question on the page...

http://www.nutrenaworld.com/knowled...try-feed-frequently-asked-questions/index.jsp

If it has another medication in it you will have to look up that medications withdrawal period...

I would feed a non medicated grower until most are laying than switch to layer if you want, making sure to provide a bowl of oyster shell free choice next to your grit

I agree with Meep, you need to know what you're dealing with. "Medicated' can cover a wide range of things from antibiotics to wormers to thiamine blockers. Some have withdrawal times, some do not. We can't make a blanket recommendation on "medicated" feed, and we're not even sure your feed has any medication in it.

I agree with Meep, you need to know what you're dealing with. "Medicated' can cover a wide range of things from antibiotics to wormers to thiamine blockers. Some have withdrawal times, some do not. We can't make a blanket recommendation on "medicated" feed, and we're not even sure your feed has any medication in it.
Ditto Dat^^^

Ok thanks, i am in Australia though but it still helps to know that, i shall have a look and see if there are any other medicine in it, is Amprolium the worm medicine, if not what is it? Sorry i dont really know much about the feed as it isn't me who buys it.
Thanks

Yeah ok, thanks all, I dont really know what is in the feed as i dont buy it and it generally comes in a plain white bag with just the name on it. Though as far as i am aware it doesnt have antibiotics or anything just worm medicine but i will ask and see if it is the right one. Thanks again.
Also one more thing, if you did happen to attempt to eat an egg from a chicken on medicated feed what would happen? What is the reason you cannot eat the eggs, will it make you sick or something?

Back
Top Bottom