Can you eat your first eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stroisi, Aug 18, 2010.

1. stroisi

stroisi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    We just got our second egg. Very small. But is it ok to eat?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup.

I blow out the first egg from each of my hens (if I can tell which one it is) to preserve the shell. Especially the little ones - they're so cute!

It just means I have to wait until I have more than one, to have a good meal.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There is an old wives tale that says that pullet eggs should not be eaten, but it's just that - an old wives tale.
    Enjoy your first eggs and congrats. [​IMG]

4. ctaynton

ctaynton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    How do you blow out eggs? I have always heard of people doing it but didn't know how. Is it difficult?

5. stroisi

Jul 28, 2010
    Thanks. I did blow out the first one to save for the X-Mas Tree this year:) A friend taught me that:) But I don't want to waste the second one. It will be dinner tonight:)

Sharon

6. stroisi

Jul 28, 2010
    Just poke a small hole on both ends and blow it through:) Hard to start and then it all comes out:)

Sharon

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  8. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Absolutely! It will be the best tasting egg you will ever eat! Congratulations!! [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Easy peasy! With a sharp pointy thing, like an ice pick or - in my case - a corkscrew, make a small hole in the smaller end of the egg. Make sure you push it all the way through to puncture the inner membrane.

Make a slightly larger hole in the large end, about the size of a pencil eraser. Remember to puncture the membrane.

Hold the smaller end, smaller hole, up to your mouth and blow into the egg, with the large end over a bowl.

You will have to blow a bit harder when the chalzea (I think that's how it's spelled) gets to the hole.... and maybe have to make just a tiny little bit more of a hole if you just cannot get that tough bit out of the end.

When it's all empty, rinse it and let it dry. Voila!

10. ctaynton

ctaynton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I can't wait for my Marans to start laying so I can blow out their first eggs! Sounds easy enough...although, some of you say a tiny hole and somebody else mentioned the size of an eraser....that seems pretty big. And what is the best end to blow through? Big or pointy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by