Can you encourage a hen to go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CHICKEN CRAZY1, Oct 2, 2013.

1. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been wondering about this and it has stumped me. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some birds go broody, some don't. It just depends on the bird and the breed. However, providing a nice secluded nest box and leaving eggs in a nest will encourage a bird to go broody. Often, just the sight of several eggs laying in a nest box will make a naturally broody hen go broody.

3. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    +1 with the above. Not much, if anything, you can do. It all depends on the breed...and then on the individual bird. Some want to be momma's, some don't. It's really dependent upon the hormones, and these traits have largely been bred out of the more popular egg-layer breeds. Broody breeds as Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Game Birds/Jungle Fowl, Fayoumis...the less hybridized breeds.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    If it's a Silkie, show it an egg.[​IMG]

5. CHICKEN CRAZY1

Does a barred rock go broody?

6. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    Barred Rocks sometimes go broody. However, if your bird is a Barred Rock from a hatchery, there is a lesser chance of her going broody than if she was an exhibition quality bird bred for show. Birds sold by hatcheries have often been bred to be great egg layers, which means that they don't go broody often.

7. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I think just by leaving eggs in the nesting box would be the most accurate.

8. CHICKEN CRAZY1

Alright THAT question has been answered. Does anyone know how long fertile eggs can be stored?

9. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    When setting eggs for the incubator I never use eggs more than 10 days old. I bring them inside and store them pointy end down in an egg carton below 16 degrees Celsius . The hen will often collect eggs for longer, sometimes up to 14 eggs.

10. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    Fertile eggs can be stored for about two weeks before their hatchability starts dropping significantly. For best hatches, though, collect eggs for no more than a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by