Can you encourage evening layers to become morning layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BBQNuggets, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BBQNuggets

BBQNuggets Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2014
    Castle Rock, CO
    My flock is new to us, but all around a year old. (Red Stars and Silkie Bantams) They are adjusting to their new coop and while they're figuring out where to sleep, I've been blocking off the nest boxes after sunset so they'll learn to sleep on the roosts, but this has created a bit of a problem because the girls are evening layers. So far in the evening that it's completely dark when they lay, and it's often after I've done my last check of the night and blocked off the nest boxes, so they lay eggs on the sand floor and as a result, they freeze solid and crack. Is this just because they're new to the coop and still a little freaked out? Will they adjust by themselves and start laying at normal hours? And is there anything I can do to encourage daytime laying??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They're probably out of sync with changes.
    There's no way to regulate when ovulation occurs. The egg will come 25 hours after ovulation.
    Make sure they are on the roost at dark.
    Make sure they don't have light in the coop at night.

3. BBQNuggets

BBQNuggets Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2014
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thank you! I will continue to encourage them to sleep on the roosts and hope that they get into a more comfortable routine soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by