Can you feather sex these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cuckoo4Cochins, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Cuckoo4Cochins

Cuckoo4Cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    Virginia
    [​IMG]I have some "sexed" pullets I ordered from cackle hatchery and I'm starting to think some are boys after looking at articles about feather sexing. The two pictured are 3-4 day old chicks. The first one is an Easter egger, and the second one is a Cochin bantam. Thanks. [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    WAY too early to tell! Re-post if you're still uncertain at about 8-10 weeks...cute little fuzzy-butts!

3. Cuckoo4Cochins

Jun 23, 2014
    Virginia
    I know they are so precious. But anyways I was told feather sexing could be done at this age? Although I guess it wouldn't be accurate at all lol. If it is I'm pretty sure I have all boys :(

4. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Feather sexing is pretty unreliable unless the breeder was specifically breeding for that trait. The vent sexing that is done by the hatchery is significantly more accurate (usually about 90% accurate). You'll be able to tell in about a month if they made a mistake. For right now, the odds are heavily in your favor that they are pullets.

5. Cuckoo4Cochins

Jun 23, 2014
    Virginia
    Ok thanks. I was jus very unsure about that white Easter egger. All of the others have a nice even curved wing and his just have two little pointy feathers.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Feather sexing can be done at this age, but not on those chicks. Folks on the internet like to tout you can feather sex any chick, but it's just not true. You have to cross specific breeds or strains with slow-feathering and fast-feathering genes to get a chick that can be feather sexed. Here's the definitive thread on sex linked information, feather sexing is toward the bottom of the first post...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

1 person likes this.
  7. Cuckoo4Cochins

Jun 23, 2014
    Virginia
    Thanks that was really helpful and made sense

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by