1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you feed 2 day old baby chicks worms?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FF, Mar 19, 2010.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have been finding 6-20 worms at a time and feeding them them. Funny to watch haha

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    You really should get them some grit if you are feeding treats that young .. I dont do any treats but plain cooked spaghheti until 2 wks old .. Watch for runny poo as well as they may not process it well... Personally i would nt give mine anything but chick starter at two days...

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Earthworms? I wouldn't. Earthworms can carry the nematode that causes gapeworm and you don't want that. They may find some on their own occasionally, but I wouldn't feed them worms on purpose at this age.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    What would Mama Hen feed them? I figure they should be able to process whatever Mama Hen would show them.

5. speckledhen

I've followed hens around with their chicks. They don't usually give them worms, it seems. Still, chickens do contract gapeworm, where the worm grows in their throats and chokes them, from eating earthworms carrying the nematode.

6. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Oh. Well 2 of them died after I gave them worms. It might be something completely different but could be the worms. I hope I didn't kill them.

7. speckledhen

I doubt it was the worms. Keep an eye out for bloody poop or them hunching their heads back into their shoulders, both signs of coccidiosis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by