Can you feed this to a chicken???????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicks_N_Horses, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have large parrots and we always have buckets of un-eated food (corn, seeds, peanuts, etc) left that they don't eat. It is a big waste if I don't find alternative ways to use it. I have been using it in my wild bird feeders and they love it but I was thinking that maybe I can feed it to my chickens too.........What do you think? Anyone do this?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I dont let anything go to waste at my house.. My chickens get treats of wild bird mix that has peanuts, corn etc... If it was me i would definintly give it to my chicks..

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

it works for mine; I have cockatiels, finches, diamond doves, a peach front conure, and an AGray. I dump their tray catches into the yard, and the chickens go NUTS when they freerange and come up here. They think they've found treasure! [​IMG]

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    GO ahead; the only things chickens shouldn't eat aside from the obvious (like poison, moldy feed, etc.) are potatoes eyes and onions and garlic.
    Something about the potato eyes makes them mildly toxic - due to them being in the nightshade family, I suppose. Rhubarb leaves are much the same.

Onions and garlic, on the other hand, are not bad for them, but they cam make their eggs have an "off flavor."

Whatever other birds can eat, chickens should have no worries with. The rule of thumb is this: "If you can eat it without harm - so can chickens."

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Oooops - double post.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Thanks so much!! I figured it was OK but wanted to double check.....I am sure the chickens will love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by