1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you feed too much vegetables to chickens ???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mitchl-2000, Jul 29, 2009.

1. mitchl-2000

mitchl-2000 New Egg

Jul 28, 2009
    As our garden comes in we have a lot of extra overgrown cucs, squash and etc, plus a lot of scrap from canning and freezing of vegs.

I have been feeding my chickens everything to save on the feed bill.

Can you feed them too much fresh vegetables??

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I've never heard that before, but you will certainly get an answer soon. I'd love to have a vegetable garden!! Thats so awesome to have so many!! I think the girls would be in heaven!! [​IMG]

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    They can get fat from eating too much, but probably not on veggies.

4. mitchl-2000

mitchl-2000 New Egg

Jul 28, 2009
    I am a novice at this chicken thing and I read several posts on "Treats" for the chickens which led me to believe that I should not feed them a large volume of vegs.

But on the other hand I keep thinking how can too many vegs be bad..

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I am new to chickens and would love to know this answer... I see where people let them 'free range' to 'cut the feed bill' .. I have read that people do not feed grains, commerical feeds in summer. I have read that if you have a 'backyard' flock (Not egg makin' machines--high production flocks) it's ok to feed them/let them eat free range but that your egg production will drop!

So I am interested in the answers that will follow---we have a huge garden, vineyard and orchard.....lots of things that have been going to waste but that are now going into the run!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I'd like to know too. My only concern would be that they would fill up on veg and not get enough protein. No idea if this is true though - I love giving mine the leftover veg from the garden.

7. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    My chicks are a year and half old now. They get veggie scraps from our local market every day. I have 11 chickens and they get a 5 lb bucket full. Some days they get 2 buckets. I also provide them w/ layer feed. They seem very healthy and are not fat. I let them free range so they get bugs too.

8. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Veggies are really not much different than the plants they get free ranging. They will be fine . BUT if you have that much now, can you freeze some of it in bags to dump in in the winter for treats then?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by