Can you feed treats too early? (pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KentuckyChick, Aug 1, 2010.

1. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I feel like maybe I jumped the gun on this, but I run everything through the food processor, I offer grit, and they're doing great. They even are more personable and friendly. Even my EE'S!!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, and they are doing great.

Imp

3. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I figured if they were with their mama they'd be exposed to a lot more, haha.

[​IMG]

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Soooo cute! Treats are fine. The main reason not to feed treats is that if there is a problem, you would have one less thing to rule out. No problems; no worries...

5. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Gave my girls crickets & mealworms today and they loved it.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I hatched chicks with broodies this spring. When my first hen proudly brought her babies off the nest on the first day, I thought she deserved a treat, so I offered her a mealworm. She promptly gave it to one of her chicks!

At first, I was horrified, but then I laughed at myself. A day later, I noticed one of the chicks trying to swallow a grub that was almost as big as her head. Again, I was horrified. As I stood there, paralyzed, wondering if I should dash around, open the door to the run, and try to perform the Heimlich maneuver on the chick, she finally managed to swallow the grub. Her crop looked huge! So I laughed at myself, again.

That chick is now 12 weeks old. Her name is Hermione, and she's grown to be the largest of the spring batch of chicks. Must be all those bugs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by