can you figure our these breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alisha, Jul 1, 2011.

1. alisha

alisha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    all these little fuzzy butts (as i have heard them called) are all about 5-6 days old. any help would be appriciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I would guess barred-rock on the top photo (black chick w/ white dot on head). Then the one that is wildtype (stripes on back) I would say probably speckled sussex (if white legs) or welsummer (if yellow legs) depending on the leg color. Or if they have fluffy cheeks (hard to tell in the photos) then they would be easter-eggers. Even if no fluffy cheeks, they could be easter eggers. If you can get a close-up of the face/head, you can tell what type of comb they have too (sussex or wellie would have tiny straight combs, or EE would likely have a tiny pea comb - looks flatter against the head on babies). The others in solid color are hard for me to guess, since I don't have many buff or red birds. Maybe production reds (or NH or RIR).

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    The black chick looks like a barred rock and the reddish chick looks like a production red of some sort. I am not sure on the chipmunk ones since there are SO many breeds with that coloration as chicks.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That last picture is absolutely precious!

5. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    barred rock, rhode island reds and maybe english game(not sure or english game)

6. alisha

Jun 25, 2011
    thank you! so what does fluffy cheeks look like? they all look like they have fluffy cheeks to me?! LOL [​IMG]

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Chicks with fluffy cheeks almost look like they have a beard! [​IMG]

Here is a pic of an EE I got off MyPetChicken hatchery website...
    [​IMG]
    Do you see the beard? [​IMG]

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of one of my EE's I got 2 weeks ago, she is 4 days old in this shot.

[​IMG]

And one of my BR roos from last year, you can see a couple in the shot...also about 3 days old

9. alisha

Jun 25, 2011
    ok so no i don't think they have puffy cheeks! but when i went down there today to check on them i noticed that the chipmunk looking like chicks have started growing feathers on the feet. the feet are all yellow in color. any suggestions as to what kind they are?

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    They could be Dark Brahmas. Here is a pic of my dark brahmas as chicks for comparison:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by