Can You File Muscovy's Nails???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Orpingtons4U, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Can You File Muscovy's Nails??? i need to know cuz our Muscovy Hen went broody and she keeps poking holes into the eggs

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I suppose you could.. i know some on here clip the nails because it's a house duck. I've never tried it, I would think it would be hard to on older birds? I'm surprised hers would be damaging to the eggs considering it's part of the breed.

3. Orpingtons4U

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Yeah

4. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

I always have clipped my Pekin/Campbell cross....keeping in mind of the quick. Be very careful you don't get it. Have styptic powder on hand if you do accidentally clip it. Wow, they must be super sharp if they poke holes in the eggs.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    One of my muscovy girls broke the tip of her claw and it bleed for a long time. so be careful. I have one sitting on eggs now and all hers are still intact. Is she in a cramped space?. that may be the problem

6. Orpingtons4U

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia

she is broody in our hen house

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is she in a nest box or on the floor, ducks don't fit into nest boxes like chickens do as you are probably aware, They do have sharp nails but I've never known them to put holes in their eggs, matter of fact the shells on my ducks eggs are very hard. How many eggs has she put holes into? how many eggs? just trying to help you figure out the reason for the holes. If you file you may be able to keep this from happening but it's going to tramatize her most of all because she'll be off the nest.

8. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    I file Daisy's nails with a Pedi-Paws but she's used to it. If your girl is outside,I agree with Miss Lydia,she may not want to leave her eggs. I thought the shells were hard enough to keep from getting poked. Is she getting enough calcium? Miss Lydia,isn't oyster shell alone (in addition to food,too) enough to give laying ducks the extra calcium they need?

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine get oyster shell all the time and forage along with their feed and their shells are tough.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Same as ours.. i swear i could almost use a hammer to crack an egg open lol

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by