Can you find the predator in this pic?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by QuackerJackFarms, Oct 27, 2011.

1. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look closely. [​IMG]

I've never seen this one before. Luckily, I looked out just in time to see him coming towards my ducks. He was 3 feet from grabbing one. When I ran out there I threw him off and he flew away. One of these days... I'm not going to be so lucky.

He was not deterred by my dog or the fact that the ducks were right next to my house. (under a bush)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Anyone with a good idea to keeping hawks away?

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    My eyes are to bad to see it, send me a pm and let me know so everyone else can look and lets see who has good eyes. lol

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Nope and they are a protected species!! Go figure. You need over head protection from these guys!!

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    OH, now I see it in the first pic.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yup, I see it.

2 weekends ago I was out feeding/watering the birds. The layers were freeranging and out a no where a hawk (thinking coopers hawk) flew down, about 3 feet from me and swooped back up. Tried it again the 2nd day, luckly I was there. Shouted at it and it flew away, haven't seen it again.

7. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    It's a HAWK! I know, it's hard to see!! This a different one than the one that was hanging around. (yes, I can tell the difference between them.. it's weird.)

These things are BRAVE!! Thank goodness I looked outside in time to see it making it's attack.

We have lots of bushes and covering, but that not making a difference.

I have a covered run, they just like to free range.. Good grief.. It's always something trying to eat my pets.

8. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Hawks are Federally Protected. You can't do anything that would cause harm or death to them. They seem to be discouraged if you place line or cord acrossed an enclosure, but I don't know what you'd do for an entire yard. Depending on the size of the hawk, they will generally not go after a full grown large chicken. Now banties would be another thing.

9. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I wouldn't hurt it. They really are amazing creatures. And it's just trying to get dinner. I have some banties in the bator... Yikes! It was going after my ducks. It's just such a bummer having to keep them penned up. They get mad at me.
    (And make a huge mess when confined!)

10. meusoc

meusoc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Buckshot will keep them away! Forever....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by