Can you "force" a hen into broodiness?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BJ, Dec 17, 2007.

1. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I have 1 hen who is at the bottom of the pecking order. I brought her inside because she was badly attacked last night. I thought perhaps I could let her set on eggs to raise a brood. Can I somehow "force" her to set? I don't have a rooser and I don't have an incubator. I would have to order eggs. She is a D'uccle mille fleur bantam. Would she be able to set on standard size eggs?

2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, If she was badly attacked, she wont be in any mood to rear young. They will go broody in a SAFE environment only.
    Now she may relax in a couple of weeks or less.
    Not sure how cold it is over there, however if she starts to lay eggs, just leave then there and see if she does go broody.
    If she does just put 4 or 5 standard eggs under her, she cant fit any more and they will chill and not be viable.
    Good luck and I hope she isnt hurt, Is she the only mille fleur in your flock?? you may need to separate her and make sure she gets a good meal too.

3. BJ

Mar 20, 2007
    I brought her inside and treated her. She has some scabs and raw spots on her head and comb. She is eating, drinking and resting, but she is lonely. I just don't think I should put her back out in the coop...at least until her scars heal over. I am not really equipped to have an "inside" chicken...and I'm not sure what to do with her. She is in the pet carrier right now, and she is pretty vocal about it. She is just the sweatest thing, and I would love to give her babies to raise. I feel like I need to re-home the Sebright that attacked her. Not sure what to do....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    BJ,

I'm in a similar situation. My bottom-rung d'Anvers chicken, Jane, just hasn't been happy in the coop since we got her (3 mos ago). Last night the temp was down to 5, everybody was safe and toasty in the henhouse.. except Jane. She was perched in the run, cold and alone. She has been campaigning for house-chicken status for months (tried to follow me out of the henhouse one night into the pitch dark, freezing cold). I'm at the point with Jane that I'm thinking I'll just keep her in here until spring, and see then.

Luckily, I have two young (6wks) bantams inside anyway for that long, and a few eggs growing in the incubator. Hopefully I'll be able to make a mini-flock out of these guys with Jane. It stinks, I didn't really WANT her in the house (love her, love my other chickens.. but just don't think of my chickens as 'house' pets). But I suppose she's made up her mind. I set her up in a box last night with food and water, she hopped out and attempted to go exploring down the hallway. Actually, she doesn't seem to be upset that she doesn't have any real company except us.

Not much advice to give, since I don't even know how I'm handling this (glad my dh is patient with my chicken addiction!), but I feel your pain!

Meghan

5. BJ

Mar 20, 2007
    Meghan,
    It's good to know I'm not alone. I'm not sure how to have a "house chicken" right now...but she actually seems to be enjoying the one-on-one time with us! She sounds like Jane's soul-mate! I'm really toying with this idea of making her a mother. I've been wanting Buff Orps. The only problem is that I want hens, and my luck, we would end up with a bunch of boys!! If I could just get her to "go broody", then I might look into getting some Buff Orp eggs (I just wish it wasn't the start of a long, cold winter).

Thanks for your input...it does mean a lot to me to know there are others out there who feel my pain!

BJ

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

How long have you had the seabright? perhaps it would be kind to your little hen to rehome the nasty one so she can go back outside without threats of violence.
    This is very common, Ive had to rehome a fave hen because she was nasty.
    Good luck.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You can't force her to be broody.
    You can make her fell as comfortable and safe as possible and the urge just might kick in if you are extremely lucky.

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, being broody is a instinct and nothing can be done to encourage it.
    Sometimes people think they helped the process along with wooden eggs or leaving the eggs in the nest, however if the hen was going broody, she did it her own and nothing helped.....

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by