1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you force setting?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoisCroft, Mar 28, 2007.

1. LoisCroft

LoisCroft New Egg

Mar 27, 2007
    A few days ago I discovered 18 eggs under a tree. They were laid by wild chickens, but no one seems interested in hatching them. I don't have an incubator, but do have several silkie hens. One of the hens is kind of borderline about sitting on the eggs, but there are too many for her since I found another 9 in her house. Is there a way to force one of the others to help? Is it advisable? Or should I just take their word for it that they aren't going to do it?

2. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Why don't you just leave the eggs in the wild chickens nest and keep a watch as to when when she starts to set and then when they hatch get the chicks! Or wait until one of your hens starts setting and then replace her eggs with the wild chickens eggs. I don't think you will have much luck with forcing a chicken to set. They decide that themselves! Good luck.

3. tennessee_chicken_lover

tennessee_chicken_lover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    East Tennesse
    call me Stupid but what is a Wild Chicken :|

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Chickens that love to party

5. tennessee_chicken_lover

tennessee_chicken_lover Out Of The Brooder