Can you free-range bantams with large fowl?

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
9 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
We are probably going to be getting between 32-48 straight run bantams here in about a couple weeks with the intention of weeding out some of the roos, and that has brought up an important question: our flock of 37, soon to be 41, large fowl chickens and ducks free-ranges our three acres, so will this pose a problem if we wish to also free-range the bantams? Obviously, they won't be housed together, but they will eventually come in contact if they are all on the same property. Thank you so much!

-Alex

I asked a similar question awhile go and most of the answers I received were you could free range them together but its a bad idea to house them together, so I think you could do it.

I asked a similar question awhile go and most of the answers I received were you could free range them together but its a bad idea to house them together, so I think you could do it.
Do people really have issues housing them together? All of mine are fine, an dI have oegb and Cochins living and sleeping Next to eachother just fine!

I have bantams and LF together, the bantams being just under 1 pound and LF being an estimated 5-7 lbs. They get along great, and I have had great results with introducing and housing them together. As long as they are properly introduced, you should not have a problem! Good luck!
-Banti

ETA: this very much depends on the breeds you have though, I keep large, docile breeds like BSL and EE.

Last edited:
I have truly free-ranging birds (sleep in the barn or where ever they want) and I releases a bunch of extra cochin bantams expecting them to have a tough time competing, but they are doing great! Several have been re-captured and sold to people looking for a cochin roo, they look fantastic now, having the space to grow out all their feathers and get a lot of exercise.

I house mine separately but free range in the same area. In a larger flock it's best to house them separately. Smaller flocks can sometimes be okay. I also have a run for my bantam. They often are run off by the bigger birds and spend more time in their run, so make sure you have enough room for your bantams to go when they find the big birds too rough.

Thanks so much, all of you!
big_smile.png
I thought so, but just wanted to be certain.

-Alex

Back
Top Bottom