can you freeze eggs?

cbriggscc

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
North Collins, NY
Was wondering if one could freeze eggs? wonder if you could crack them open and put in freezer bag and freeze them?
Anyone ever do that?
thanks,
Charlene

From Mother Earth News:

"Eggs can also be frozen:

Break two new-laid eggs into a small bowl. (Two only because that seems to be the most usual number used.) Stir with a knife to roughly mix yolk and white - do not beat.

Pour the eggs into a lightly oiled cup and freeze. Put into a plastic bag and store in the freezer. You can add frozen eggs until the bag is full.

Thaw covered in the refrigerator, then beat into milk or whatever and use just like fresh eggs."

Yes, this was in one of my Poultry mags.

WHITES: Break and seperate the eggs, one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets into the whites. Pour them into freezer containers, seal tightly and label with number of egg whites and date, and freeze.
For faster thawing and easier measuring, first freeze each white in an ice cube tray and them transfer into a freezer container.

YOLKS: Egg yolks require special treatment. The gelation property of yolks causes it to thicken when frozen. It will be almost impossible to use in a recipe. To help retard this gelation beat in either 1/8 tsp. of salt or 1 1/2 tsp. of sugar or corn syrup per 1/4 cup of egg yolks.
Label the container with number of yolks, date, and wether you've added sugar (desserts) or salt (main dishes).

WHOLE EGGS: Beat just until blended, pour into freezer containers, seal tightly, label, blah, blah, blah
big_smile.png

HARD COOKED: Hard cooked yolks can be frozen for later use as toppings or garnishes.
Hard cooked whole eggs become tough and watery so don't freeze them.

Use eggs as soon as their thawed. Whites will beat better if allowed to set 30 minutes.

Substitute 2 Tablespoon thawed egg white for 1 large fresh white.
Sub. 1 T thawed egg yolk for 1 large fresh egg yolk.
Sub. 3 T thawed whole egg for 1 large fresh egg.

Last edited:
Someone told me you break them into an ice cube tray and freeze them , then pour them into zip lock bag and use them in cooking(after defrosting) sorry I never have, but plan on trying to freeze some for the comming holidays, with thanksgiving and christmas baking comming up will be sure to have a good supply of eggs then

good to know....thanks for the info i would have never thought of freezing eggs...ya learn something new everyday

OK- I'm reviving this thread because I have a question about the thawing process.... do you have to thaw overnight in the fridge, or is there another way to "hurry things along"?

Back
Top Bottom