Can you freeze pepper relish??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by luvchicks8, Sep 18, 2009.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I am starting my christmas cooking and was wondering if I can freeze pepper relish and jelly??

2. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Freezing the relish would probably make it into a mush. Most folks can pepper relish and pepper jelly. You put the very hot relish or jelly into clean hot canning jars, then usually process in a boiling water bath to make certain the lid seals. Cool at room temp and you have some lovely jars of your own canned relish and jelly to give as gifts. I do not know whether freezing the pepper jelly would change the consistency.

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I will be putting them im sealed jars as with the jelly I have just never froze it. Anyone know how long relish last in the fridge canned???

4. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    If your jars are sealed correctly, you don't have to keep it in the refrigerator until after it is opened. If this is your first time canning, you might want to get a good book on the subject. The canning book put out by the Ball jar company is a good source for information. Get a recent edition, not one from years ago.

5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    thanks this is my first time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by