CAN YOU GET A SIZZLE TYPE CHICKEN WITH OUT THE FRIZZLE GENE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LittleRedCoop53, Mar 20, 2015.

1. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    "HI" I have a question i'm hoping someone can answer...
    Can you get a sizzle type looking chicken (smooth sizzle)from mating (no frizzle gene) regular silkie and a regular chicken? Thanks in advance ~

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    A Sizzle is a frizzled Silkie, carrying the frizzle gene - since frizzle is incompletely dominant, all birds that carry the gene will be frizzled in appearance.
    Silkie is both a breed and the name of a gene. Not sure what you mean by a "smooth sizzle". If you mean a regular Silkie, a bird not carrying the frizzle gene, with silkie feathering, that is actually a different recessive gene called (a little confusingly) silkie. For a bird to appear silkie-feathered, it has to get a copy of the recessive silkie gene from both parents. Silkie birds carry 2 copies of the recessive silkie gene, which causes their feathers to appear more like hair. So mating a Silkie to a non-silkie feathered bird that does not carry a recessive copy of the silkie gene would not produce silkie-feathered birds.
    Clear as mud, right?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  3. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Haha...yes as mud :) Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by