Can you get Blue/Splash from a Splash roo over....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by monarc23, May 11, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    hens that are golden with black (wheaten i assume)?

I ask because I got an EE eggie from Ninjapoodles (they could have been a combo of crosses) I was aware of that..however I did not expect this color...so I have some questions [​IMG]

She has a splash Ameraucana roo, and her EE hens are golden with black markings.

CAN you get light solid blue or splash from this crossing...can it be carried by the hen and expressed OR is there another explaination for this? Im very curious about this. [​IMG] The chick is gorgeous and next to a deffinate blue Ameraucana it looks like a splash... I will try to get pictures later [​IMG]

Thanks for any info [​IMG]

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

The black markings would suggest that the bird has the non blue allele rather than blue though sometimes genetic blues look black; usually if it looks black it is black. So one would expect when the gold & black bird is crossed with a splash the offspring would be blue in the affected places.. With the EEs there can be a lot going on as one doesn't necessarily know what genes to expect

3. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Herm! LOL! well this doesnt look black at all anywhere [​IMG] I'll have to set up the "splash" next to a blue, next to a black to show you hopefully you can tell me what you think from looking at it. [​IMG]

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Herm! LOL! well this doesnt look black at all anywhere I'll have to set up the "splash" next to a blue, next to a black to show you hopefully you can tell me what you think from looking at it.

I think there was a miscommunication there. The gold with black markings parent you described would have the not blue genes (black) & obviously the splash parent has splash genes (that's pure for blue). Thus the offspring would be unlikely to be a splash & would be more likely to be a blue. I see in another thread that perhaps the chick is something else entirely, which is another good explanation. [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I think there was a miscommunication there. The gold with black markings parent you described would have the not blue genes (black) & obviously the splash parent has splash genes (that's pure for blue). Thus the offspring would be unlikely to be a splash & would be more likely to be a blue. I see in another thread that perhaps the chick is something else entirely, which is another good explanation. [​IMG]

haha thanks for explaining this more [​IMG] I'm pretty slow when it comes to anythign OTHER than blue genetics as of late [​IMG] LOL

Yeppers the chick being something other than blue or splash makes a lot more sense [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If one parent is BlBl and te other is blbl, all chicks should be Blbl. And of course that will have to mix in with the rest of the genes, lol

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG] genetics. I love them, but they are still soo confusing!!! But i love learning [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by