Can you get chicks months apart?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dirt Girl, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Dirt Girl

Dirt Girl New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    I picked up 4 one-week chicks this past Friday - 2 rhode island reds and 2 buff orpingtons - from our local feed store. I'm interested in ordering some different breeds but they aren't available for a few months. How will my 4 react to having new friends in their coop? We have a fairly large coop, outdoor run for them and a large yard for them to be in supervised. Will the older ones be nice?

This is my first venture into chickens so I am a complete newb.

2. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

It is doubtful they will be nice. We have tried this with chickens with less age differences. It did work out eventually, but we kept the younger birds separated by a fence to protect them. It will require a lot of supervision on your part.

you might see if someone locally (Craigslist) is selling some closer to the age of yours. I have bought and sold "extras" from boxes I order, usually breeds that are not carried in the feed stores. Good luck!

3. Dirt Girl

Dirt Girl New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks so much for you response. I never thought of craigslist. At your suggestion, I checked on there and now have a light brahma, black jersey giant, barred plymouth rock and an americauna to go with my buff orpingtons and RI reds! Had to drive a little but totally worth it. (And way cheaper than paying for shipping! Ha ha!) Thanks so much!

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcome

Hey, we have chickens who have a considerable age difference, and they get along fine. It took them perhaps half a year to get used to each other, but now I even catch them "hanging out" together during a dustbath, or something of that sort.

Good luck with looking on CL. I've never used it before myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by