Can you get parasites from a goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Danigirl3, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    This is probably a stupid question but here goes. For homecoming we do a "kiss the goat" fundraiser. The basic gist is the kids paid to put votes towards who would have to kiss the goat. This year it ended up being the principal and vice principal. Pictures were posted on a FB page and someone commented "that's a really good way to get intestinal parasites". I am the one that got the goat an never even thought of something like that. It's not like they were making out with the goat. It was just a quick kiss. So can you? I kiss all my animals and would probably kiss my goat if I had one but may rethink that one depending on the answer. lol

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure. I kiss all my animals all the time and have never beed sick. However I make sure I keep up with everyones care.

3. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

Not unless you tongue kiss the goat [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Ummm...which end of the goat is being kissed? [​IMG]

I thought parasites were generally passed through the stools of any animal...

6. chunkydunk

chunkydunk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Hodges SC
    Yes you can.I got worms once from walking through the pasture with sandals on. Plus worm hatch in the lungs and are coughed up so the "kiss" may contain a parasite but I doubt if theyll have an infected animal for something like that.

7. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Well, I tried to post earlier with a number of links to go to for goat diseases and goat-to-human parasites. I'm not going through it again.

Scientists are learning more and more that parasites/diseases they thought were species-specific are not necessarily so. But the gentleman above is so right. In my case, I developed a deep immediate cough as bad as pneumonia for almost a year from working on my horse's feet. I can't tell you how many doctors I've been to and gotten no help. I still have coughing problems.

But back to goats, enter "goat-to-human parasites" and "goat-to-human-diseases" in the search engines and you'll be shocked.

If you have cable, the program "Monsters within US" on Animal Planet is pretty eye-opening and shocking. They say on that show that either 50% or more of our population is infested with parasites that can eventually affect your health or even cause death.

Sorry to ruin your fun, but kissing pets/farm animals--not a good idea! And not a laughing matter.

Connie

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd think Salmonella would be a bigger risk than worms.

9. S&SPoultryExchange

S&SPoultryExchange Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I have a friend that shows cattle, he has gotten ring worm from his cattle before. Im sure its possible. Since you can also get worms from a dog.

10. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    my son also got ring worm from his sheep last yr and THEN passed it on to his rabbit... it was a long summer.... [​IMG]

melinda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by