1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you give chickens childrens liquid Ibuprofen ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrenchToast, Sep 23, 2011.

1. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I've heard that you can and that you can't. So, if you can't why not and if you can what is the dosage?

Thanks

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I have heard NO... but, I would use the Search here on BYC for more information. (or search the internet, or call and ask the vet) Remember that NSAIDS are all blood thinners and you are not supposed to give them to dogs or cats either, they irritate the stomach and can cause internal bleeding.
    There is something going on that makes you ask.. whatever the underlying issue is search for info on that as well.. that injury or illness, etc. Lots of good info here if you use the search you can get some good results, old and new.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    The vet told me to only give my dog aspirin if she needed it. And on BYC I have only heard of giving chickens baby aspirin. As for the dog, I think it has something to do with the liver not being able to metabolizing it. Thats all I know and I am sticking to it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Some human meds are actually poisonous to animals. Don't know about chickens, but Tylenol, for example, is poisonous to dogs. They can handle some baby asprin (dosage?). But cats not only can't do Tylenol, but can only handle 1/2 a baby aspirin every other day or so. So, I'd be very hesitant to give anything to your chickens without asking your vet specifically. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

mm

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No you cannot give ibuprofen to chickens.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

There are several threads on BYC about aspirin dosage you might be interested in.

7. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Thanks everyone
    I have a showgirl with wry neck and I can't find a vet that does chickens or that will prescribe prednisone for her. I have been giving her Vit E, Selenium, B Complex. She has improved but I wanted try the prednisone but that won't happen I uess. I have been reading this site for my treatment plan
    http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/ind...casestudiesemergencies&num=1160927052&start=0

So I thought ibruprofen would work better then aspirn for an anti flamatory (sp) drug. I will be trying baby aspirin then. I did try doing a search on ibuprofen on here and I did see two posts where they did use it but I wanted to make absoulutely sure before I did. So with all of your replies I won't. Thanks guys.

BTW Please don't offer me any prednisone, someone offered it to me as a kind gesture and I was warned by BYC that it could land us in jail !!! [​IMG] Luckily I didn't get any points against me here on BYC !!

8. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Quote:Prednisone is not a narcotic. So you are talking misdemeanor drug charges, not felony!

You could get your own doc to write you an rx and get it filled.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Just print out the description of wry neck and treatment and show it to your vet and he should prescribe for you.

10. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I called one vet that I just forked over $400 for my dogs surgery and they said no because they don't do chickens. Referred me to someone 100 miles away and I called them and they wouldn't without seeing her. $59 just t see the vet but they wouldn't prescribe either. Stopped in personally at my last vet that I spent over $600 and am still paying with care credit. Nope won't do it.

So I might call my horse vet on Monday and see what he says. He is a very very busy guy and doesn't have an office so it is hard to reach him. When he was here once I asked if he did chickens and he said no. I had a chicken with something, can't remember now, that was two years ago but he said he doesn't do them. I really like the guy but I think just like another BYCr's vet said to her, give 'em the Axe more or less, can't remember what they said for sure but something like that.

I'll just keep pumping her with the Vitamin E and other things and see what happens. The BYC moderator sent me a list of Avian Vets by state and there are none close by. I can see why they wouldn't prescribe for someone they don't know.

Anyway, I'm not suppose to inquire about where to get prednisone or even ask for dosages, I'm suppose to ask a vet....... according to BYC Moderator !! So I'll stick with the aspirin I guess......[​IMG]

So if anyone wants to Email me to discuss this further that would be they way, I certainly don't want to get kicked off of here for trying to help my poor showgirl. Again, I'm not inquiring about prednisone here, just trying to find an over the counter alternative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by