1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you give chicks fruit ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lucyharper123, Dec 18, 2012.

1. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    can u give chicks fruit/fruit juice i was wondering because two of my chicks are constipated and i think it will help ?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

You can give them fruit, but not too much for chicks as I think it can cause diarrhea. Are they pasting up? I often hear that apple cider vinegar in their water can help with pasting.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    ACV does help a lot. Check if their bums are pasted up first and if not fill a small container, like a butter dish, with lukewarm water. Put the chick in there, but don't let the water come up higher than it's lower back. Keep it in there for 10 minutes. It should help it relieve itself. A little olive oil in their food should help a bit too. Good luck.

4. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    yes

5. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

I am curious as to how you know this.

Yes, you can give them fruit, but there is no need. And too much throws off the overall nutrient balance that they should be receiving.

Starter feed is really the perfect food for them at this stage.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2. I just clean them off and put them in the brooder to go about their business. The pastey butt will sort itself out in a few days.

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I would think a little would be ok, I use Apple cider vinger as well just a capfull in there quart watterer seems to help alot. Remmber to soak pasty butt off and not just pull as you can damage there vents

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by