Can you guess the breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Randy54sm, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Randy54sm

Randy54sm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2014
    Anderson, Indiana
    Well I'm new to the chicken's thing as an adult. Worked with them when I was just a child and most households back then had a few chicken's running around in the back yard. I've picked these up for free. They are still laying and I know they won't be for much longer. Being new and just a little intimidated about the responsibility of being responsible for there well being and humain treatment. So to start me out here I would love to know about this breed.
    [​IMG]

2. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    [​IMG]

They look like red sex links to me.

1 person likes this.
  3. Randy54sm

Dec 7, 2014
    Anderson, Indiana
    I was thinking the same thing from my research.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Hello again. I met you earlier in the new member section where I mentioned that they were all Red Sex Links when I saw your pic. Red Sex Links are not actually a breed, but hybrids. They are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color from hatching, they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Hatcheries market Red Sex Links under a lot of different labels including Red Star, Gold Sex Link, Gold Star, Brown Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans brown, Golden Buff, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, HyLines, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, Brown Shaver, Red Shaver, etc.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Red Sex-Links to me.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Red Sex-links.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Yes

1 person likes this.
  8. Randy54sm

Dec 7, 2014
    Anderson, Indiana
    I've been cramming my head with all things chicken over the past few weeks and still feel like theres a lifetime of learning left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by