Can you guess where these names came from?

Discussion in 'Games, Jokes, and Fun!' started by Rosaleen, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    I have a clutch of eight week old bantam Cochins. Can you guess where the names came from?

Three cockerels: Carton, Heathcliff (hint: he's the bully of the group) and Darnay
    Four pullets: Nellie, Miss Pross, Pitty Pat and Ladybird

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Carton for egg carton??? [​IMG]

3. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Carton and Darnay are from Tale of Two Cities. Heathcliff, I assume, is from Wuthering Heights. Miss Pross sounds like she is also from Dickens, but I don't know which novel. I don't know the others [​IMG]

I have 2 cockerels named Wickham and Willoughby and 2 pullets named Lizzie and Marianne [​IMG]

4. Rosaleen

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Quote:Yes, yes and yes on the cockerels...Miss Pross is also from A Tale of Two Cities.

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Creative names! I've never really named my chickens after any characters from books - the closest I would get to picking a classic name was "Tolland" for a hen... after Michael Tolland from Deception Point. [​IMG]

6. Rosaleen

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Not all my birds' names are from literature. I have a silkie named Hootchie Mama. Another hen was named as the result of a writing contest I had for my fifth graders ... Name That Hen ... The kids had to write a persuasive piece convincing me this would make a good name (the name needed to come dorm history, literature or mythology). Lots of fun with that one.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by