Can you hatch blood spot eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Dec 30, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    and, would eggs that have been in the refrigerator for 1 day still be able to hatch?

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I don't think blood spot eggs can hatch, but I'm not that great in this field, sorry [​IMG]

3. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Quote:Yes and yes.

Blood spots are usually just tiny patches of blood from a blood vessel that broke in the hen's ovary. They should be harmless to a growing embryo. If the blood spot is so huge that you can see a big shadow on candling, or something dramatic like that, I wouldn't risk it, but usually you wouldn't worry.

Yep, refrigerated eggs can hatch. It's not an ideal storage temperature but neither is the countertop once inside temps get above 60. The ideal would be something like a wine fridge. Since most of us hatch from eggs that were stored under less than perfect temperatures there's no reason to be afraid of trying a refrigerated egg.

(If this comforts you, I have a Brinsea right now with silkies in it. They got lost in the mail over the holiday weekend, were in transit for five and a half days, and arrived extremely cold to the touch - easily fridge temperatures if not lower. I'm on day 12 now and have 20 (of 30 sent) of them going strong. Was it ideal? Far from it, and I'm sure if they'd gotten here in two days and normal temperatures like they were supposed to I'd have an even better rate. But it was not fatal to the majority of them.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by