1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you hatch chicken eggs without an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by broodymamma, Sep 27, 2011.

1. broodymamma

broodymamma New Egg

Sep 27, 2011
    When I was a kid my mom hatched duck eggs in a plastic shoebox with a goose neck lamp over them, spritzed them a couple times a day and turned them a couple times a day. Can I do the same with my silkie eggs or do I need an incubator? I have a broody Buff Orphington who is sitting on 4 eggs and I don't think I can fit anymore under her. My other hens don't want to nest. What can I do?

Thanks!

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

uhm, yes but you will likely have some issues with temps fluxuating drastically.
    I once tried to hatch a goose like this, ended up frying the poor chick at a sustained temp of 104 for and hour 4 days before it was due to hatch. I'd rather spend $30 on a cooler bator than risk it with a desk lamp.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:If you buff orp is a normal size you can probably put 10-12 eggs under her!! Definetly more than 4!!

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:If you buff orp is a normal size you can probably put 10-12 eggs under her!! Definetly more than 4!!

[​IMG] yes and even more with silkie eggs 18 i bet

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have never had problems setting 14 or 15 under broody Orpington girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by