Can you hatch store bought fertile eggs-from super market

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover210, Feb 19, 2008.

1. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    If the supermarket sells fertile eggs (chciken eggs) can you hatch them
    I mean is it worth the try
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] produces

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    After they are cold it won't work. They have to be kept at room temp(or warmer) to hatch.

3. Dogginfox

Dogginfox Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that I have seen a few post on here were people have hatched eggs that had been in the fridge for a while. I dont think the results were spectacular but some of the eggs did hatch.

Id say its worth a shot, just look for the freshest eggs and give them a full 24-48hrs to come to room temperature.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Two people from this forum have hatched fertile store bought eggs...atleast 1 chick each that I know of...not sure if the eggs were kept refrigerated or not .....both were from a Safeway grocery....

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Justino15, or something like that, just hatched a chick from an egg he got from Safeway. I've hatched chicks from refrigerated eggs before, so It can work.

6. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Is there really such a thing as fertile eggs in a supermarket. Are they marked as being fertile? I have never heard of this before.
    I have seen barnyard eggs at the feed stores for sale by customers that were fertile and not refrigerated.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes , there are grocery stores that sell fertile eggs.....Safeway is one from my understanding, in fact next time I travel to DD's I'm stopping and bringing some home from a safeway to try....

8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    its worth a shot. justino did a test egg and his name is sunny. a beutiful leghorn.

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Hey Tuff, you could just stop by my place, I (like home depot) meet or beat any competitors price. I will guarantee that mine will be better than Safeway eggs.

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    hey marlin you registered on my Bday!
    anyway do all the eggs come from the same suppliers or dif ones?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by