Can you have bantams and large chickens housed together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by theron, Dec 9, 2009.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    I just got two bantam silkies. The large chickens are two EE and a Cochin. Will I be able to house them together? How long should the quarantine be?
    Right now they are separated by chicken wire so they get used to each other. Any help will be appreciated.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Seperating with chicken wire isn't really a quarantine...it just keeps them from crossing the room.

I house all my chickens of random/varying sizes with no issue. Only newbies are a problem.

3. Dinky318

Dinky318 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2009
    I right now have a 2 year old wheaton, black hen, (both are bantams), with my 3 month old buff orps. I tried to put a different hen in there, but she was pecking the buffs. I guess it just depends on the birds temperment. We have had no problems, but the rooster is so gental, he's like a baby. Hope this helps in some kind of way. [​IMG]

Dinky318

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have 26 chickens, 6 of which are banties. The banties came in pairs after the larger established hens. What I did was introduce the banties during the day to free range with the larger hens and housed them seperately at night. After a few days I just let them stay in with the larger hens. It has always seem to work ok for me. No troubles, no injuries.

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    When I lived in the city I had 4 muscoveys ducks. 2 males and 2 females. Well a neighbour gave me a bantam cochin. They got on so well together. infact my mean muscovey drake was totally in love with her and they used t sleep side by side at night. Now I live rural and have lots of large chickens and bantams together only prob is chooka still thinks she's a duck and lords it over all the other chickens lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by