Can you have just one goat?

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
I have had two goats for a few years, Casper and Max. Both are neutered males. (wethers)

This past year Casper did not get around very well at all, and he mostly just laid close to the barn, or in the sun a lot. Max goat hung around the horses or off by himself and showed no interest in Casper.

Actually Max really hasn't shown much interest in being around Casper for almost two years.

I lost Casper Friday. His age and a neurological problem.

I have heard and read over and over that you can not have one goat. They must have at least one more for company. Is that true? Do I need to find another goat to put in with Max? He really doesn't seem to miss Casper or act any different than before.

It sounds as if Max is doing fine in a home that he knows with horses for company if he desires. Adding another goat might very well cause more problems.

Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Goats are herd animals, but if Max doesn't seem to be missing Casper, there is no need to get another goat just to have a goat "herd." Lots of herd animals accept other species as their "herd." Like all herd animals, goats have a pecking order, and the introduction of new animals can result in a lot of very brutal behavior as the order gets established. Someone could get injured.
hide.gif

Not all goats will view horses as part of their 'herd' but if Max is doing OK with just them, then it will be OK.

Most of the "no, don't keep a goat alone, ever" is geared towards folks who think having a single goat with no other herd animals whatsoever is OK. Or they want to get a goat to keep with a horse that has never been around goats, so it is quite possible the horse could kill the goat. People who are new to keeping goats and/or herd animals in general, and just don't understand the need to be part of a herd.

So you are experienced, you know your goat incredibly well, you know that your goat is doing fine. It would be a different story if Casper died, and Max was freaking out over his buddy being gone.

My first goat was a Toggenburg rescue. When I got her she would cry when I got out of sight. She jumped/climbed out of her 6 foot enclosure one night and came up to our house and pounded on the door. No kidding! After that she kept getting out so I put my blue heeler in with her during the day and she remained calm. At night I'd shut her in her manger alone. That's when we bought two more Toggies and everything has been a breeze since.

I have news. Hershey came home yesterday.

A guy not too far from us was going to butcher an 8 month old boer, but his kids freaked out and wouldn't let him. They sent me a picture of him and offered him to me, since he would always be kept as a pet, and never eaten.

I trust Hershey is a whether?

Congratulations! How does Max feel about him?

Oh yeh, wouldn't have gotten him is he wasn't a whether. No bucks.

At this point Max sort of ignores him, but will give him a bump if he tries to eat on the pile of hay Max is at. Not a hard hit, just mild bump. I think he is getting more used to Hershey as time goes on. That or else he just thinks "crazy silly youngster".
big_smile.png
Hershey is full of energy and bounces all over. I'd love to find another goat about his age so he'd have a friend as full of hooey as he is. LOL

Back
Top Bottom