Can you have just one hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elizwlsn, Oct 1, 2011.

1. elizwlsn

elizwlsn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Palmyra, Va.
    I've had 2 hens for a year now. They were pets really but the eggs are nice too. I lost one...she just died for no reason I could tell. Now I have 1 hen. She comes in the house and visits, chases the cats and dogs and is pretty fiesty. She's a 4 yr. old buff orp. I've had since she was a day old. Do I need to get her a friend or can she be alone? She's been sitting on her eggs without coming out for days now. I've hand fed her in there and I'm worried she's lonely. Made her come out today and took her 2 eggs. What to do???

Thanks.

2. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    she sound like she's brooding if you put hatching eggs under her she will have chicks and she will not be alone

3. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i agree with jason!! she's broody sitting on her eggs.. go get her some fertal eggs to sit on and she will have babys one hen she will be a great mom!!!

4. ericwaddle3

ericwaddle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    yea, thats good thinking, if she is broody find someone local and get ten or so eggs to sit under her that are fertile and then she can become a busy mom.

5. elizwlsn

Jan 9, 2009
    Palmyra, Va.
    I really don't want a slew of new babies going into winter. Just like having only a couple chickens and if she can be ok I would wait until spring to get eggs or new buddies. With just one chicken or two they come in and sleep in a dog crate in the kitchen. Spoiled I know.

6. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:hahaha okay yea shes fine!! if you dont want her broody id lock her out of where she lays for a few days or so.. it should break her if you dont she can be sitting for quite some time..

7. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    There wouldn't be a problem keeping one hen over the winter especially why not, she gets plenty of attention, alot of pioneers only had one chicken and guarded closely in her own place in the kitchen. Chickens are social birds though and usually do better with thier own kind, it would prob be easier to integrate her own chicks than a totally new bird...it's really up to you - nobody said you have to have a slew, if you did change your mind maybe a couple, but I'd mark them to make sure I didn't crack em open...it's alittle odd that shed go broody withonly 2 eggs though...hhmmmm

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If it were me I'd try to find her a friend. They usually are so much happier with a buddy.

9. elizwlsn

Jan 9, 2009
    Palmyra, Va.
    She did that broody thing with a couple of eggs in the spring too. But she would come out on occasion then to eat and poop. This time she didn't come out at all for 3 days. I hand fed her and then just said enough and pulled her out and put her in the grass. She started clucking like they do when they lay an egg, stayed out a few minutes and headed back but I'ld already pulled the eggs. She looked and looked for them. I hate to make her lonesome but she is pretty spoiled. She's always followed me around and I've always let her come in when she came to the door. She comes in for a bit everyday during the day. She was pretty bonded to that other chicken though. They were so sweet to one another...mean to other new chickens though for a while. I thought eggs were better too but sure would like to wait till spring.

10. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Maybe the best option would be to wait, just go with your best instincts, I'm sure it'll work out ok, she might just get more attached to you, that wouldn't be a bad thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by