can you have one feather footed chicken mate with non feather footed chicken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Guinea and Chicken raiser, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    I got one bantam feather foot only. I got other bantams that don't.

And what if I let it mate with a reg. size chicken, would it be ok?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I had an accident chick from a Cochin and Japanese living together (both bantams). The Cochin (rooster) has feathered feet, but the Japanese (hen) didn't.
    I really wouldn't let chicks hatch from a Small>Large or Small<Large. I'd just keep them bantam. Because if a large roo were to fertilize a bantam hen. The chicks would be giant in the egg and they'd probably die or not develop in the egg.

3. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I had a couple of feather-footed hens in my foundation flock. Now the feather legged trait still pops up occassionally in the chicks I hatch! Yes, the chicks will be fine. it's a harmless trait.

1 person likes this.
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yep, I just hatched out 25 little feather-footed cuties from my brahma roo and various hens. All the babies got the brahma's feathered feet.

1 person likes this.
  5. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Hey

I'm not sure about the diference in sizes. I suppose if the roo is the bantam then it may be okay as many "bantams" are just selectively bred mini versions of their larger counterparts.

As for the feathered feet i have pekins crossed with an Oegb. So a heavy feather footed and non feather footed breed and all the chicks have foot feathering, but not to the same degree as the pekin. It doesn't look particularly great but i figured that hens with socks would be better in colder weather.

I have mated these cross breed hens back to a different Oegb and the resulting hens have a wide variation in foot feathering. These hens are effectively 3/4 Oegb and 1/4 pekin. Some of them have almost clean legs with just one or two feathers and others have fairly well feathered feet. So the degree of feathering you get is probably going to be pretty variable.

Good luck with your hatch

:)

6. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    what was with the accident? what did it look like? did it hatch okay? did it die shortly after the hatch?

people can make chickens and guineas have babies, yet they make totally different egg sizes... how does that work then? I apprechiate your help, but you need more trustable research.. I can see how it is likely that if a small egg was laid by a small hen and the daddy was way bigger that the baby will run out of food... maybe.. it's about the genes it gets.. it shouldn't be as big as the daddy, but nearly, it could take after mommy. and if it was a standard father and bantam daddy bird, the baby wouldn't like have a way to escape the shell when it's time... it would have too much to eat... but nature has it's way of survival. They say a black jersey giant's egg is just as big as a Plymouth rock.. that it's because like a bird cannot possibly lay an egg over a certain size, etc, etc... I may have heard it from you on here or some other site.. but it was first in a magazine... about birds that lay big eggs, it had them listed together.. didnt' say that one is bigger than the other.. i would think it should be... magazine was mother earth news.....

So I'll try to keep my birds seperate bantams from standards... but one thing said you can raise the two together... ain't that weird?

7. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    ah... i was hoping there was a way to make more feather footed chickens... thanks for your contribution.

8. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    that's soo cute.. what a touching story.... when you say various hens, you mean they were all the same size or not? lolz...

9. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    amen, thanks for your answer. sorry the 'difference in size' bothers the room here...

I wasn't soo serious.. but i have heard some site online say you can raise bantams with standards.. how when you want a standard male for the standard girls and a bantam male for the bantam girls? if they are all flocking together and napping and waking up together.

I would never guess there is such thing as Pekin chicken.. but i googled it, it's true apparently. I first thought u meant Pekin duck. ;)

thank you for your story. it's very apprechiated. nice to hear it. keep sharing all you want.

10. DamselinFlannel

DamselinFlannel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Coulterville, Illinois
    I had two chicks from a bantam Cochin roo and a giant Cochin hen. The chicks weren't that big to start with. But boy did they get huge. They turned out to be two of the most gorgeous, biggest roosters I've ever seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by