Can you have two or more male Bob White's together??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kellyn, Mar 16, 2012.

1. kellyn

kellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2011
    bunnell, Florida
    Hi, my grandmother has a few(trio) of bob whites and wants to purchase some more. She asked me if I could look up if you can add another, unrelated male to the cage. I said I don't know and that i'd check.

I think it's alright if they're raised together(like roosters) but with an unrelated, likely dominant male, I clearly don't know. I've never had them and haven't had a chance to study their personalities and know their antics, whether they be agressive or not.

Coturnix , I know, are typically VERY gentle and I have mine in a colony. Buttons, I know, are VERY terrotorial and get agressive and with my large cage, I have to seperate or give away the abused males. Bobwhites? I simply don't know.

Does anyone know? If I can get a quick answere, THAAANK YOUUUU!

2. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    My exp. not much problem if ...There ain't no girl to fight over...cva34

3. kellyn

kellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2011
    bunnell, Florida
    Welll, she's gonna but som more girls too. So there is a problem with males like that.

But it's her poblem, not mine. She actually asked for my 'internet' assistance. Well, there's a first for everything! Guess she got tired of messing up.

Thank you! I'll have to tell her. Her cage is pretty big, and quail hang out in flocks, I think, so just one xtra male should be fine. I think.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It all depends on how large their pen is. During breeding season you will be asking for a TON of fighting by adding a male to the mix. If you do not have adequate space blood may spill.

I have found that during breeding season, spring thru fall, my pairs all need to be separated to prevent fighting. The females can be a bad as the boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by