can you hear a chick's heart beat with a stethoscope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kelly FG, May 28, 2008.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    through an egg at 14 days?
    I have one at work I can bring home, does it work?
    I'm candling my first ever egg & it happens to be a welsummer & I see what I think is a vein & an air sak but I really don't see any movement. The egg is not stinky at 14 days.
    pics in this thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=57661

2. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    if you see A vein, then it's probably a blood ring, which means bacteria got into it and it is dead:(. I've wondered myself before if it were possible to hear a chick's heartbeat with a stethoscope. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Kelly, I never tried the stethoscope but looking at your candleing pictures, the egg seems to be good. I wouldn't handle it too much. Good luck![​IMG]

4. crystalmichelle

crystalmichelle New Egg

Jul 2, 2014
    What should I do if my chick hasn't hatched by day 23 how can I make sure it's still alive ?

5. Wantaraisechick

Wantaraisechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    Tennessee
    I suggest waiting a couple of days. If your incubator has been a little cool, even a degree or so, it can prolong the hatching process. At least that's what I've read and think that's what happened to me. I gave up at day 24 and started throwing the eggs out. That's when I heard some little cheeps and realized most had formed. The second incubation I made sure to put a thermometer on top of the eggs and not trust the one on the top of the incubator. There was a 3.5 degree difference. After some research, reading everything I could, I realized what had happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by