can you hear a chick's heart beat with a stethoscope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kelly FG, May 28, 2008.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    through an egg at 14 days?
    I have one at work I can bring home, does it work?
    I'm candling my first ever egg & it happens to be a welsummer & I see what I think is a vein & an air sak but I really don't see any movement. The egg is not stinky at 14 days.
    pics in this thread
  2. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    if you see A vein, then it's probably a blood ring, which means bacteria got into it and it is dead:(. I've wondered myself before if it were possible to hear a chick's heartbeat with a stethoscope. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.
  3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Kelly, I never tried the stethoscope but looking at your candleing pictures, the egg seems to be good. I wouldn't handle it too much. Good luck![​IMG]
  4. crystalmichelle

crystalmichelle New Egg

Jul 2, 2014
    What should I do if my chick hasn't hatched by day 23 how can I make sure it's still alive ?
  5. Wantaraisechick

Wantaraisechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    I suggest waiting a couple of days. If your incubator has been a little cool, even a degree or so, it can prolong the hatching process. At least that's what I've read and think that's what happened to me. I gave up at day 24 and started throwing the eggs out. That's when I heard some little cheeps and realized most had formed. The second incubation I made sure to put a thermometer on top of the eggs and not trust the one on the top of the incubator. There was a 3.5 degree difference. After some research, reading everything I could, I realized what had happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by