Can you help a newbie identify her hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fraunie, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Fraunie

Fraunie Chirping

Apr 8, 2012
    Elfin Forest
    This is my first BYC post, lets see how it goes! We just bought a home in the country an inherited 4 hens and I'm curious to the breeds. The previous owner could only tell me that there were 2 'normal' chickens and 2 bantams. We have only had them 2 weeks, and I am so in love with them all already, we also have a Bourbon Red turkey, she was easy to ID! By my guess, I'm pretty sure the black one is an Australorp, beautiful green/purple/black feathers, small single comb that is blackish. The red one...I was thinking RIR, but all the pictures I've seen are a darker red than her. She has a super fluffy hiney and some black tail feathers. The bantams....no clue....

Thanks!!
    Fraun

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. MommaK6

MommaK6 Chirping

Mar 20, 2012
    The second one looks kinda like the pictures I've seen for Old English Game Hens....not sure on the coloring though. Saw a Google Image call one with the same coloring a "lemon blue".....but I can't say I've ever heard anything like that before. Lol

3. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Songster

WELCOME!
    I can tell you is that the one you think is a RIR is a production red, they are nice girls that tend to be great layers.
    I was thinking old english game too on #2, but the colour has me questioning.
    congrats on your move to the county and the rich inheritance of a back yard flock.

1. make sure they have a predator proof place to sleep.
    2. feed them a balanced diet. (I was horrified over what some people feed their birds!)
    3. you will want more, you are normal when you talk to them and bok bok back to them, there are never too many chickens.
    4. roosters crow all the time, so think about it before you decide to increase your flock organically.

great looking birds [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st... speckled sussex bantam maybe or spangled oegb
    2nd... black breasted red oegb
    3rd...production red and either a jersey giant (soles of feet are yellow) or a black assie ( soles of feet are white/pink)

edited color of oegb from duckwing to bbr

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. Fraunie

Fraunie Chirping

Apr 8, 2012
    Elfin Forest
    wow! Thank you all so much!!!

The pic of the oegb is not the best, but the only full bodied one I had. Her coloring is amazing, she has the most beautifully complex feather color. And? She is the only one so far that has let me hold her!! Her eggs are whitish tan and she's been laying about one every 2-3 days. The brown/black/white bantam hasnt layed, I suspect she is pretty old, maybe 5+ years. the larger hens are both laying about 5 eggs a week. I'll check the black ones feet! I'm so excited, thank you so much for such speedy replies!

currently the have a coop that opens up to the corral for free roaming during the day. The coop....NASTY! It has a secure door and some perches and a feeder, which is about all is has going for it. I don't think it has ever been cleaned That is next weeks project to get a good floor, some shavins for the floor (dirt and poop and uneven rocks now) and building some nesting boxes, they currenly have none. They were laying their eggs in the tortoise houses....but I would rather not pick my eggs out of a 'nest' of turtle poop! I put in an old dog crate without the door and they have all 3 been laying there now.

I have lots of questions on diet...but I'll look for an appropriate place to ask those!!!

6. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
  7. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    [​IMG] black breasted red oegb

[​IMG] spangled oegb which could possibly be the first one and if its anything like the millie pattern it should get whiter with age thus why yours is so white

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: