1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you help id, little metal box india blue star

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by hoppy, Sep 13, 2009.

1. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    sorry I don't have a picture of it but 2 things I want to know. what is it made of so I can clean it and about how old is it?

here's the description.little metal trinket box mostly silver but the top and sides have oxidized to a yellowish silver. the inside is bright silver (including the inside of the top) so I'd say this is what the box used to look like. metal is thin but not easily dented. the bottom of the box has a blue sticker with a star and the words "india" printed on it. it also has a sticker that says the foreside company comparable price $16.00 now $9.00 . I did look up the foreside company and they have only been in business for 17 yrs so I don't think it's truly an antique.
    any ideas or where I could ask this that I might get some answers. I have searched the internet for that blue sticker and not coming up with anything.

2. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Does the bottom of the box have a silver stamp or mark to indicate silver content?
    India silver may not have the same "weight" as coin silver or British sterling.

If it is solid silver you can gently clean with any silver polish...if you want to keep the oxidation colors you indicate, I would use a liquid polish not a paste because it may be too abrasive.
    If it is a silver plate, then I would use dish detergent and water and let the box remain as is until you find out more.

Look up silver, India on the internet and see what you get.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Like this by chance?

[​IMG]

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:I'll have to post a picture of it but there is no silver stamp (no marks of any kind to indicate silver or otherwise) just the blue paper stamp with the star.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by