Can you help identify my chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bentleyfarm, Feb 16, 2012.

1. bentleyfarm

bentleyfarm New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    We rescued a momma and baby chicks and I don't know what type they are - guess it depends on the rooster too. The momma is the brown one (pictured alone) and there's a variety of colors on the chickens - one rooster.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    mom looks to be a game type and if the others are her babies than you have 3 roos and one pullet in babies

3. bentleyfarm

bentleyfarm New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks. I know only one crows but maybe the others don't crow because of the more dominate one? I was hoping the others were pullets too. I've had them for about 4 months now and the mom has not laid any new eggs. The baby chicks are arriving today at the local feed store. Thinking of getting a few but were waiting to see if any of these were egg layers. Hmmm, now I'm wondering. The babies are about 5 months old now so I should know soon.

4. bentleyfarm

bentleyfarm New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    Can you tell they are roos by the comb or tail feathers? Maybe momma is really daddy! LOL... no eggs whatsoever, or she's older and is done laying.

5. MaxHamer

MaxHamer New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    The one that is pictured alone is a welsummer bantam.
    I have one that looks exactly the same that is 8 months old.
    I am not sure whether it is a cock or a hen though! can't tell with mine either, it doesn't crow nor lay eggs.

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    It might just be the weather to why she hasn't laid an egg. The one closest in color to her with a small comb is the pullet. The black/white and the two red/blues are roos. The two hens should start laying eggs soon with spring comming.

7. bentleyfarm

bentleyfarm New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks for looking... I'll look that up. I had 2 americanas (sp?) and 2 buff brahmas and didn't have the coop secured enough, backed up to deer fencing. After being out there for 5 months or so, a fox or some other critter got in and killed all my chickens and the 2 roosters we had in with them. so now we have a protected coop with wrap around chicken wire. I got these off of craigs list but really should have waited until now to get pullets - I like knowing what breed I have.. and I want brown and green egg layers. but the colors on these are so pretty. We'll see.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. bentleyfarm

bentleyfarm New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    Thank you everyone for your comments!!! It helps alot!

9. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    all looks like games

10. bentleyfarm

bentleyfarm New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    I looked up Welsummer and they sure look just like the some of the babies.. one had white with the black and colors, and the others had the rust with the multi colors.. They're pretty!

A couple people mentioned they look like games. Does that mean they are more for eating and not egg laying? I'm new to chickens. Thx.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by