Can you help identify this breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ournwsimplelife, Jan 25, 2014.

1. ournwsimplelife

ournwsimplelife Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    We got five chickens just after they were hatched, and one of them was supposed to be a Barred Plymouth Rock, but after she started feathering out, it was obvious she was not. They're 24 weeks now.

She's big, and has a beautiful tail she loves to puff and spread out. She's friendly, and a little quiet. Her skin was always really pale, like white or a very pale pink. Even now, her comb and wattles are pale pink whereas the other pullets are a bright red. Her feet are white/pale pink with light black covering the fronts. Her feathers are black with a grey/brown on them. She hasn't started laying yet, so we don't know egg color.

We chose a Barred Plymouth Rock for it's qualities, but now we aren't sure what we have. Any clues??[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    She's a barred rock mix, but I'm not quite sure what with.

The barring is evident on her neck. But then the rest turns into a blue laced pattern. So the good news is, she's at least HALF barred rock.

That being said, you have one of two colors you can get from her in terms of eggs - brown or green. The green would appear if the other half of her had ameraucana or araucana, which carry the blue egg gene. The blue gene plus the brown gene is what gives you various shades of green eggs. If the person who sold her to you had either of those on their property, then you can expect green as a possibility. But if all of their other layers were white or brown layers, then she'll have brown eggs. It could be any degree of brown, from super dark (maran colored) to very pale (pink). But the barred rock lays brown eggs, so you KNOW you'll have at least that color in there.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. ournwsimplelife

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks for your reply - this is interesting information! I really love her, she is a sweetie. I was at first so disappointed she was mixed somehow, but now it's more of a fascination with what unique qualities she has that differ from what we expected. I'd love to be able to know exactly what type of breeds she has in her though - just for my own sake.

None of them have started laying yet, and I'm getting eager to get our first egg, plus now to see what color egg she lays and/or any other clues. Her lacing was unexpected, but I like it.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have a hen that looks almost exactly like her-barred rockXcuckoo marans cross. :)

5. ournwsimplelife

Aug 5, 2013
    Hmm... now I'm getting confused over something else. The 3rd picture shows what was thought to be our cuckoo marans in the background, but with her barring and yellow legs, does that make her a barred plymouth rock and the one I was questioning is the one that actually has the cuckoo marans (and mixed with something else). It seems like the store mixed up those two in telling us which was which when we got them.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Cuckoo marans do not have yellow legs. Barred rocks do.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like a barred rock or cuckoo marans mix.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In that 3rd pic, your barred rock is the bird in the back. The bird in question is probably a cuckoo Marans, just very poor/hatchery quality patterning. Where did you get them--are they hatchery birds? Or from a private breeder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by